POETRY INTERNATIONAL is one of the oldest and most respected literary journals dedicated to publishing poetry from around the globe. Each issue of the print journal brings together poems, portfolios, and prose representing a rich diversity of countries and languages.
In addition to the print journal, PIOnline also features global conversations about books, poetry, and poetics and an archive of international poets and poems.
PI runs contests throughout the year for poems, chapbooks, broadsides, and more. Please review the guidelines for each contest prior to submitting. See below for submissions that are currently open.
We ask for your patience as we read your work. It may take us up to six months or more. Please know that each entry is carefully considered. Please do not query.
By submitting to Poetry International, submitters agree to receive correspondence about future work and submission opportunities from PI. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Every year, Poetry International gives a prize of $1,000 and publication in Poetry International for a single poem. Editors of Poetry International will judge each submission. Submit up to 3 poems with a $15 entry fee. Each additional poem will require $3 extra.
- In the "Title" box, only provide the name of all poems (ex: "House" "Tree" "Car") -- this makes it easier for our Editorial Assistants to track your entries/poems. Feel free to use key words if your titles are long.
- Only previously unpublished work is eligible for consideration.
- Provide your contact information (including email and phone) & titles of all poems submitted in the cover letter.
- No identifying information should appear anywhere on the submission. Keep the submission simple and easy to read, avoid unusual fonts. Please no illustrations.
- ALL poems/entries are to be uploaded to Submittable within a single document (i.e. only ONE PDF, .doc, or .docx file is needed to submit "X" number of poems/entries, per submission) - We prefer doc and docx files
Simultaneous submission allowed: You may submit your poems simultaneously. Please note whether or not any poems/entries are simultaneous submissions.
Poems translated from other languages are eligible ONLY IF you wrote both the original poem and the translation.
The winner is announced on our website.