General Contest Guidelines:
When submitting through Submittable:
- Fill in all required categories marked with an asterisk *
- In the "Title" box, ONLY provide the name of all poems (ex: "House" "Tree" "Car") -- this makes it easier for our Editorial Assistants to track your entries/poems
- When submitting, please do follow the written guidelines for title, cover letter, and attached files
- We accept credit card or Paypal payments
When Attaching a File:
- We read all work as anonymous submissions. No additional cover letter necessary. Please fill in all required categories with:
- Contact Information (Address, Email, Phone Number). Your Full name should only appear in your Submittable account on any required categories.
- Titles of all poems
- (Optional) A title for your collection (if applicable)
- Identifying information (name) should not appear on any headers or footers throughout the document
- Document page numbers preferred
- Poem titles preferably in bold within the document
- We only accept PDF, .doc, or .dox files
- A submission can contain between 3 to 8 entries/poems uploaded in ONE document. The reading fee is $15 for the first three entries/poems and $3 for any additional entries/poems.
- No scanned handwritten entries
- No Illustrations, fancy fonts, or decorative borders--Please make your entry/poem easy to read for our staff (No Comic Sans or similar)
- No SASE necessary -- We will announce the winners on our website and blog
- Simultaneous submission are allowed -- please note whether or not any poems/entries are simultaneous submissions and if/when they are accepted elsewhere
- Any poems translated from other languages are only eligible as long as you have permission to print or the work is already in the public domain.
- All manuscripts will be recycled
- Declined Entries will not receive an email, only a status change
- All submissions are read in the order in which they are received. We are a University publisher and our staff and Editorial Assistants run by an academic calendar. Please, do NOT query about your submission.
General Information for Poetry International Chapbook Submission:
- Poetry International Chapbook is not a contest -- selected manuscripts will be published in an upcoming publication of Poetry International and the submitter will receive a contributor's copy
- Poetry International Chapbooks are known as "Portfolios" within each printed copy
- A $20 submission fee is required
- Poetry International has different guidelines for manuscript cover letters --please research on how to write cover letters for manuscripts.
- One submission per reading period per person ONLY
- The Reading Periods are from January 1- February 1 and June 1st to September 1st of each year
- Manuscript must be previously unpublished as an entirety (individual poem publications are okay)
- Selected Poetry International Chapbooks are announced on our website and blog
- Please read our Poetry International Chapbook guidelines for detailed information
Every year, Poetry International gives a prize of $1,000 and publication in Poetry International for a single poem. Editors of Poetry International will judge each submission. Submit up to 3 poems with a $15 entry fee. Each additional poem will require $3 extra.
- Please read our general contest guidelines
- Only previously unpublished work is eligible for consideration.
- Provide your contact information & titles of all poems submitted on the title page.
- Author name and information should appear only on the title page. Please make your entry easy to read--no illustrations, fancy fonts or decorative borders.
- ALL poems/entries are to be uploaded to Submittable within a single document (i.e. only ONE PDF, .doc, or .docx file is needed to submit "X" number of poems/entries, per submission)
- DECLINED ENTRIES will not receive an email, only a status change
Poems translated from other languages are not eligible unless you wrote both the original poem and the translation.